2/08/2013

Back to Basics - London

I have to admit, I was a little worried about my 15 hour flight from Singapore to London but I was also looking forward to flying with the A380. It might seem like an odd thing to have on your bucket list but - what can I say? - I like planes ;) Well, turns out, the A380 is awesome! It is HUGE (I was in Seat 81K .... ) and incredibly comfortable, especially since it was very empty. Around where I was sitting, everybody had an entire row, so I actually got some decent sleep :) They have tons of movies, TV shows, games (Tetris - *yessss*) and all kinds of other beautiful things to make life on board easier ;)

 drinks anyone? :)

But the best part of the flight was circling over London shortly before 5 a.m. Man I love this city! Especially at night from all the way up there! I was so excited to be back in Europe and even more since Julian had wanted to come to London and was gonna meet me here - unfortunately that didn't work out after all, so I was once again alone in London. Nevertheless it was nice to be back in a familiar city after all the new impressions over the past couple of months...

Good morning Picadilly!

The weather is fantastic, blue skies and perfectly cold :) Just the way I like it! I'm staying at Hyde Park Suites, which means I have a small appartment with a full kitchen so I can safe some money on food and spend it on shoes instead ;) (I couldn't resist...) Thanks to Claire, I tried the Hummingbird bakery - yuuum! Definitely one of my new favorite things to do in London ;)

I enjoyed my last day abroad with my London ritual: a nice, long early morning walk through Hyde Park and then down through St. James Park to see Big Ben and the Eye. Never ceases to make me blissfully happy :)

Hyde Park in the morning

Enjoying a beautiful winter-day

Only in London ;)

As usual, the walk from Hyde Park Corner towards The Mall was swarming with tourists (how do I ALWAYS end up at Buckingham Palace when they have their changing of the guards ceremony?!?) Every single time... My usual path would have led me towards the river, walking along the lake in St.James Park and past Big Ben, but I wanted to go to the National Gallery, so I walked up The Mall instead. Enough beautiful views along that way as well ;)

Big Ben in the distance

The London Eye

The King and the Queen
This is my fourth time in London and I realized I've never visited any of the museums. So I changed that and went to the National Gallery today. I really do like art... Although I have to say I prefer the "Hamburger Kunsthalle" ;) as much as I like London, having only a handful of paintings by Monet and van Gogh just doesn't cut it... 

Best location in town though ;)

After some indulging food in Soho I walked over to the British Museum. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of girl after all and since I had already started my museum tour, I might as well go all the way, right? It was funny to see a display about Polynesian Cultures and suddenly realize I know the Maori building on the picture in the display; it's the meeting hall in Rotorua :) And yes, I was really there! Funny feeling....
I'm still a little sad Julian couldn't make it, but it was also nice to have another day for myself and just reflect on everything that's happened in these past six months. I couldn't stop grinning all day! This was definitely the experience of a lifetime and I will be forever grateful for the opportunity I have been given. All that's left to do now is pack my bag for one last flight and then I'll finally be back where I started. Thanks for following my adventures here, it's been a pleasure! 

Thanks for everybody who has been part of my journey, whether through online support or in person. It wouldn't have been the same withouth you! I found some great new friends in various different countries along the way and I hope to see you all again someday!

As for tonight, all that's left to say is Dreams really do come true - you just have to believe in them :)



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen